Monday, July 25, 2011

Conference

Alright! So I'm back, re-energized, with fresh ideas.  I went to my first big Professional Development conference- MEGA this week! It was wonderful! I got to spend some time with wonderful, passionate teachers and professionals.  I won't go into detail in this post, but I have some great new tools, songs, and overall fun stuff to implement this year.  Along with lots of information about Assistive Technology (AT) for my students. Best of all, I got to sit on the lap of Dr. Jean, yes THE Dr. JEAN of www.drjean.org.  Haha, she and the rest of the group sang a song about how special I am, I always knew it! And definitely did Tooty Ta with her as well! However, there were no pictures/video taken and this disappoints me, just a little!

I've also come across this Facebook Page and website- www.a4cwsn.com, meaning Apps for Children with Special Needs.  It focuses on the use of iPads and Apps with Students with Special Needs * And provides great information, iPads, and apps to Teachers/therapists of students with special needs.  I purchased an iPad to implement at school.  All of us, my students and myself, were exploring and learning how to use it most effectively.  They caught on SOO fast.  It's amazing how much of a difference these devices can make in the life of a child with special needs.  It can provide a voice to a child who has never spoken, & provide hope to parents who have not received much hope from doctors.  I have seen a child who does not engage in interaction with peers, be the leader of the group when participating in a shared activity on an iPad.  The possibilities are endless! The person in charge is a parent (of a child with special needs) who has so graciously donated time, energy, effort, etc. to provide iPads to many children across the US, Canada, Australia, and other places.  They need help spreading the word and raising money to get more iPads.  Please visit the site, like them on Facebook, and spread the word.

Keep Reading and Singing....
Amanda
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment